Message to one diktator re another

Sunday 6 March 2011

Point of No Return:Our culture is lost, says Pakistani Jew's descendant.

Karachi's Synagogue in the 1970's
 The history and plight of Pakistan's vanished Jews, has elicited much interest on this blog, especially from Pakistani Muslims.Point of No Return was therefore excited to hear from Yifa Yaacov, the great grand-daughter of a Karachi Jew called Rachael. But we were also sad to learn from Yifa that their specific culture has been lost to Jews like herself. Yifa invites comments from interested readers:
"I am the great-granddaughter of a Karachi Jew named Rachael. Her father was a jailer in Karachi. She moved to Mumbai and Gujarat and died in Ahmedabad in 1973. My great-grandfather, a Maharashtran Jew, died in Israel. I visited her grave this past summer. It touched me deeply and I started to learn Urdu (maybe I will get to Marathi someday). I only wish I could visit Rachaelbai's birthplace in Karachi. What kind of a world is it where a great-granddaugher cannot see the birthplace of the great-grandmother after whom she is named.

Read the rest here:
http://jewishrefugees.blogspot.com/2011/03/our-culture-is-lost-says-pakistani-jews.html

No comments:

Post a Comment